Chickpea, Zucchini and Mint Salad with Garlic Toasts
This salad is delicious served as a lunch or light dinner, or even as a breakfast dish
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 8 thin slices sourdough baguette (see tips)
- Olive oil spray, for coating
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 2 large zucchini (courgettes), trimmed
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 400 g (14 oz) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed (see tips)
- 100 g (31⁄2 oz) roasted red capsicum (pepper), thinly sliced (see tips)
- 75 g (23⁄4 oz) soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup baby or micro mint leaves
- 4 poached eggs (optional)
- Preheat a chargrill pan over high heat. Spray the baguette slices lightly with olive oil. Grill for 2 minutes each side or until lightly charred. Rub one side of each slice with the cut side of the garlic clove. Set aside.
- Peel long ribbons from the zucchini using a vegetable peeler, stopping when you reach the seeds. Place the zucchini ribbons in a large bowl (discard the seeds or reserve for another use) and add the vinegar, olive oil and lemon zest. Set aside to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, capsicum, goat’s cheese and half the mint and toss to combine. Divide the salad between four plates. Top each with a poached egg (if desired), garnish with the remaining mint and serve with the garlic toasts.
Recipe by Chrissy Freer